Friday, October 15, 2010

I may not be a mother

But I have a mother’s heart. That’s what I have come to realize. I have been stressed and upset about a great number of things recently. And it wasn’t until last night that I started to see that some of my stresses and worries were not necessarily my own. They are worries and thoughts I have been carrying for friends and loved ones. Because their pain is my pain too. Their worry and stress is my genuine concern. What they feel…well pretty much that is what I feel too right along with them.

I have heard it often said that a mother is only as happy as her happiest child. That is exactly how I feel about the people who matter to me. When they are happy I am over the moon happy for/with them. And when they are hurting, I am truly hurting for/with them and trying to find a way to make things easier, better, or at least a little brighter for them. Part of me figured maybe this is how all women are with their friends. But I also have come to learn (often the the hard way – my specialty!) that sometimes I am blissfully unaware or out of touch with what may or may not be the norm for people.

I know some of them read this here little blog, so to my friends IRL, please know that every joy you have experienced, I have been beyond happy for you. For every heart that has been broken, my heart has often broken with it. For every tear that has been cried, I can guarantee you that I have cried too, whether or not I have done it in front of you (and sometimes I haven’t been wearing waterproof mascara, so be HAPPY you didn’t see that mess!) For every goal you have achieved, I have cheered from the sidelines. I have cried at your weddings, cried when parents have fallen ill, cried when you have given birth. I brag about you to others. I stay up some nights worrying for things you are going through. People who will never even meet you likely know you by name - I talk about you all because you are like family to me.

Something I have come to really enjoy about this whole blogging thing is that it has allowed me to make new friends. Amazing, interesting, funny, brave people whose stories I get to read each day. People I will likely never meet. And I still find myself cheering from the sidelines for them, crying when they cry, and laughing when they laugh. I talk about you about your postings to others. I stay up some nights reading about all of the things you are going through. Just another thing that has made me realize that while I may not be a mother, I do have a mother's heart.

I know it is cliche, but often we don't let people know just how much they mean to us, usually because we assume they already know. How strong we think they are, how proud we are of them, how thankful we are to have them in our lives. I hope you will take the time today or this weekend to call/email/text a friend and let her know what she means to you. Because we can all use that kind of lovely news in our lives, no matter how good or bad of a day we are having.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I know exactly what you mean too - I am that way with my friends and family as well. Your friends are truly blessed that you are in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. Your friends and family are lucky to have you in your lives.

    ReplyDelete